My peppers germinated pretty well this year. I just had two pots with seeds that did not germinate, but as I had used a couple of seeds per pot, I had spare seedlings to transplant into those pots. Today was the day.
My first step was to give all the plants their first taste of Neptune’s Harvest fish emulsion. Yum! I watered the seedlings with a dilute mixture. After they’d had a chance to uptake some of the liquid, I used a discarded kitchen knife to carefully lift out the seedling to be transplanted, trying to minimize root disturbance.
Once that was done, it was time to thin the remaining seedlings to a single seedling per cup. I used some fine snips to do this, selecting the most robust seedling to keep. In some cases it was pretty obvious which seedling to select, in other cases, it was not.
I am liking the party cup method of seed starting, especially when I’m starting multiple varieties of the same plant. It makes the labeling much easier, something I always find challenging. It uses more potting mix, which adds cost, but the trade-off is less potting up of seedlings, which is time intensive for the gardener and harder on the seedlings. I throw all my used potting mix into my compost or use it for larger container planting so it doesn’t go to waste. It’s all about the trade-offs, and in this case, I can’t buy time, but I can buy potting mix.